Wednesday, July 04, 2007

the dark is rising



Oh my god I could vomit with excitement. Forget The Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Earthsea, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe and forget Harry Potter. This series of books is superb. Written in the 60s by Susan Cooper it is an amazing fantasy coming of age story that blew me away as a kid. It was aimed at the older more discerning teen and had me totally captivated. I don't want to give away any plot points as there is one in particular that is best left for the movie but is sure to delight. I hope they aim this above kids as in my memory it was fairly adult in theme. Definitely one of your darker fantasy novels. What is also great is that it is totally British in plot featuring and melding English folk lore into present day. I hope the inclusion of an American (surely only to appeal to the US market) will not detract. Can't wait...

4 comments:

Michael Parsons said...

Forget 'Lord of the Rings'. Is though mad!!!??

Anonymous said...

sounds good, never heard of it before, but looks interesting!

Anonymous said...

Bad news: Walden Media has declared war on us DIR fans. The scriptwriter for the movie is quoted as saying I think some of that sort of, the pre-Christian element or the Arthurian stuff isn't really in the script.

They added a bunch of snakes and explosions and cut the heart out of the story.

feenixboi said...

Thanks for the heads up henchminion. That is bad news :( I kinda figured that might happen and was the danger when american-ifying this project. I'm still excited but I know I'll be disappointed TL,TW and TW style.... sigh....