Saturday, December 16, 2006

happy feet

What a joy this film is. A fantastic kids movie with loads of adult appeal. The animators have nailed the look of the penguins perfectly and it is obviously a movie inspired by March of the Penguins . It is a story of belonging and a rite of passage but also a message about the state of the planet. Often shots pan out to reveal the earth spinning viewed from space - a reminder seemingly of how small the planet really is and how humans are interfering with the balance.

What is so joyous about this movie are the musical numbers when the emperor penguins belt out their heart songs. All the songs are covers so for the adults we can all sing along :) There are some really breathtaking scenes. The art direction is incredible. The frozen scape; piercing blue seas; arora borealis are all melded into this tale. As little Mumble (who is the star of this story) finds out he has no heart song but he can dance like a god, he must embark on a journey of self discovery that will lead him ultimately to the saving of his penguin race. Favourite quote: "Gimme some fin" as one penguin goes to high five the other.

Go see this movie and bring the kids 9/10

2 comments:

MTR said...

Worst "kids" movie I ever saw. Could have done without the lecture. Or without having my religion bashed for 1.5 hours.

[FTM: Happy Feet: Not So Happy]

feenixboi said...

Wow I just read your blog. I had no idea that your religion had been bashed. I quite innocently took this movie for what I believed it was a kids movie about penguins with lots of singing. It is a shame that you couldn't have seen the movie in the same way that I did. For me it was a joyous occasion and I would definitely take my nieces to see it. I think we should all be open to having our beliefs questioned. You should not be afraid to deal with these issues because there are many more people out there who are of different denominations. Bottom line... I think you've read too much into it. It's a real shame that the message about the environment did not get through to you at all.