Monday, January 22, 2007

the full zx


Oh boy did I love my ZX Spectrum. It truly was a ground breaking device brought to us by the infamous Clive Sinclair (think Sinclair C5). My dad got it for me when I must have been 8 or 9. It was an all-in-one keyboard and CPU device with an awe inspiring 48kb ram. Wow. Of course you had to hook up a tape player to it and literally play the casettes to it. Those in the know can do a good impression of the whirring and clicking you used to hear.

My favourite game had to be jetpac. Oh it was marvellous. Building a space ship and filling it up with fuel all the while dodging the aliens. So guess my surprise when I discovered this. A widget for my mac that emulates the ZX Spectrum!!! Yes those tiny standalone apps that hover off screen waiting to be summoned, well someone has created one that acts exactly the same way as the ZX of old. JOY. Here's a picture of the widget in action. Will I ever get any work done?

For those of you lucky enough to own a Mac you can get the widget here and the .tap ROM file of Jetpac (plus several other lovelies) here. But you have to promise me you'll tell me your high scores :)

No comments: