Sunday, January 21, 2007

shadow play

This is exactly how car adverts should be. Simple and elegant. A poignant message with a simple strapline "Isn't it beautiful what hands can do?". Shadow puppetry has always been an interesting medium to me. It relies heavily on the imagination to work. No colour and no sound. Just shapes and suggestion. There is a great scene in Hideous Kinky where the two girls are acting out a shadow puppet scene called the 'dark hand'. It reminds me of what it is like to be a child where everything is full of wonder and excitement. I think this Volkswagon ad captures that moment.

4 comments:

jnova said...

that advert is spectacular! i used to do shadow puppets as a kid - but they always just looked like hands in a contorted mess on the wall!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful and innovative.

feenixboi said...

i know I thought as a kid I really nailed the face shadow puppet...but theses guys have got it going on.... would love to see exactly how they did this (whether it was done in one take or pieced together in layers).

Anonymous said...

Well maybe next time using shadow puppets in shades of green....

I think it was done in layers.